Software Asset Mgmt. Specialist
Software Asset Management Specialist
The Software Asset Management (SAM) Specialist is accountable for software utilization and compliance data. This person will provide subject matter expertise for major software publishers and smaller publishers. Assist as needed with software vendor contracts and work with other departments to build, execute and manage remediation as it relates to software compliance. This person will evaluate SAM tool system design and provide requirements for functionality. Align license capacity with initial needs, expected growth, and enterprise experience from similar implementations. Establish SAM processes and procedures.
Other duties may be assigned. Directly or through others, the incumbent:
- Participates in the management of software licenses to help ensure compliance with policies, software licenses agreements, and end-user licenses agreements.
- Design and implement SAM tool and technology (preferably Flexera-based) license management solutions to support software lifecycle management.
- Manage, operate, and trouble-shoot SAM tool and technology (preferably Flexera-based) license management solutions.
- Audit and improve software license data and ensure that software licenses are managed and tracked effectively.
- Analyze and improve customer software lifecycle management and change management.
- Provide and improve data, reports, and dashboards on software lifecycle management and software ROI
- Occasionally build Cognos reports or otherwise to improve the operations of the system.
- Contributes to the maintenance of company’s effective licenses position within company’s Software Asset Management
- Solution through the effective, efficient and agile utilization of the tool.
- Contributes to the IT team’s understanding, tracking and forecasting of software licenses by collaborating with the teams and clearly explaining the software license agreements and management processes and procedures.
- Assist management in leading, training, and developing employees to better understand and utilize software licensing processes, procedures and tools.
- Research, prepare and deliver presentations to all levels of management on software licensing processes and procedures.
- Demonstrate leadership and active participation in inter-company committees with company.
- Maintain an understanding of changing technologies, risks and potential impacts on company.
- Assist others in learning and understanding software compliance and risks.
- Collaborate closely with Commercial Governance in contract negotiations related to software licensing by providing supporting data and information related to software licensing.
- Employ methods to focus and successfully perform responsibilities in an open work environment.
Education, Experience, & Skill Requirements
The minimum education requirements are:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent is required; Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Statistics or Computer Science is preferred.
The minimum experience requirements are:
- 5+ years’ experience in IT Software Asset Management software licensing
- Strong quantitative, analytical, problem solving skills, including the ability to accumulate, organize, and assimilate large amounts of information/data
- Ability to meet strict deadlines while managing multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Ability to learn and master the administration of company’s SAM solution
- Flexera product knowledge including FNMS, Workflow Manager, App Portal, and Data Platform
- Thorough understanding of various Tier 1 vendor license models (Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, Symantec, VMware, Adobe, RedHat) and the ability to interpret software contracts/EULAs
- Ability to create Effective License Positions for Tier 1 publishers using SAM tools such as Flexera including but not limited to uploading purchase orders, creating licenses and performing software optimization
- Experienced in on-boarding of publishers from start to finish in FNMS
- Ability to create detailed and summarized Excel reports using data from FNMS
- Understanding of Cloud/Virtualization technologies (VMware, AWS, OpenShift Platform, RedHat/RHEL)
- Ability to use initiative to identify and pro-actively resolve issues
- Ability to communicate professionally, concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing in a timely manner
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills
- Ability to work with a diverse team and help influence/drive change across functional boundaries
- Ability to generate technical but user-friendly procedural documents
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Preferred Skills, Knowledge, & Abilities
- Working knowledge of Atlassian JIRA used as ticketing system for software requests/installation, purchases, server build requests and hardware requests
- Strong understanding of Atlassian JIRA workflows
- Knowledge of enterprise security as it relates to software
- Experience with license server administration
- Deep knowledge of software deployment, device inventory, software asset management (SCCM, ADDM)
- Flexera FNMS Tooling expertise and knowledge for the purposes of supporting, troubleshooting and maintaining FNMS
- Experience with opening support cases with Flexera and following through to completion
- Reviewing out of date inventory and validating that inventory
- Tracking and managing FNMS device license consumption
- Understanding of Cognos and posseses the ability to build FNMS Cognos reports
- Prior experience with Software Audits / Compliance
- Experience with software procurement & vendor management
- Project management skills
- Certified in Software Asset Management
Measures of Success:
- Demonstrated ability to interface with external and internal partners in a professional manner
- Demonstrated skills in prioritization and multi-tasking, and success in adapting to change in a fast-paced environment
- Strives for accuracy
- Manages and minimize risks related to IT software licensing
- Positively contributes to the maintenance of company’s active licenses position within the SAM solution and produces supporting reports
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of software licensing processes and procedures in a constructive, measurable manner