It’s that time of year – love is in the air! Which might be easier said than felt when it comes to your job.
Like any relationship, the one you have with work can go up and down until you find yourself in a loveless place where you don’t know what you’re doing anymore let alone why you’re doing it for the company you work for. If this is you, it’s time to take a step back and reevaluate. If the relationship is irreparable, recognize that and get a game plan going on how to get out. But, if you’re ready to give it another shot, we recommend giving these tips a try to rekindle the love.
5 Powerful Ways to Fall Back in Love With Work Again
- Lean in. If you’re feeling on the outs when it comes to your job, it might be time to lean in and reengage. Most of the time, that feeling of disconnect comes from within and leaning in can be the perfect remedy to kick-start a love-love, instead of a love-hate, relationship with your work. Recommit and give it your all.
- Try something new. Sometimes, getting into a routine can be a good thing. Other times, it can make it feel like you’re always doing the same thing, having the same meetings and talking to the same people. If you feel this way, it may be time to try something new. Pitch a new idea to management, recommend a project that spans departments and will expose you to other teams, or ask to get certified in something that will further your career while benefiting the company.
- Make a plan. Like wedding prep, planning for the future can be invigorating and inspiring. Making a work plan for the future will get you out and talking with people, it will get you dreaming again, and it may just be what you need to fall back in love with your job. As you prepare for the future, map out what will make you happy – and keep you happy – at work. What are your goals, hopes, plans? Write them all down and start leading yourself down the career path you envision for yourself.
- Control what you can control. Give yourself the best opportunity to love what you do by controlling what you can control. Eat a good breakfast, workout, have your workspace set up just the way you like it, take walks or breaks throughout the day, eat lunch with coworkers – do all of the things that make a workday good for you, and then rinse and repeat. When it comes to relationships, sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference.
- Unplug. There comes a time when the best thing you can do for your relationship is walk away – for a little while anyways. For work, this might mean taking a Friday off and enjoying a long three-day weekend or taking an extended break, like a two-week vacation to really unwind and press reset. We are constantly plugged into work, so your feeling of love lost might in fact just be a sign of burn out. Know when enough is enough and you need to step out of the business to enjoy some time to yourself.
What do you do to keep yourself engaged and in love with the work you do? Leave us a comment below with your best tip!